Friday, June 22, 2012

Books, Books, Books!

We've been tearing up the books in the Burris home recently!  Jacob, especially, has been on fire and I'm considering starting to teach him how to read some on his own.  In the last ten days to two weeks we've read: The Boxcar Children, Beezus and Ramona, The Velveteen Rabbit, and about thirty or so picture books.  I'm reading my own third fiction novel, and there's no telling how many times I've read every board book we have floating around the house.  Jacob cannot seem to get enough of it and I'm thrilled with that!  He asks to read more, more, more!  We're plugging through his summer reading list for pre-school at a good rate and should have most of those done before July even arrives!  The other day I told him I needed to teach him to read on his own because I just couldn't read any more.  He shoved the book at me and said, "Fine!  Teach me how to read now!  I have to read the next chapter!" 

The fun part is that I never know where I might find a child reading a book.  You can read a book in just about any nook! 

You can listen sitting in the car seat that is waiting to go back in the car...

You can read just in the middle of the floor (I love the look of surprise on her face...like she's been busted).

You can of course read under the sofa table and cozy up between the book basket and the library book bag...easier access this way!

And of COURSE you can read in the kitchen cabinets!  (Joshua isn't the only one I've found like this, but is the only one I've managed to capture on the camera).

Mommy is about to go hoarse from all the reading, but boy, it sure is fun on a hot summer day to rest hot, tired bodies and listen to a good book!

1 comment: