Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Burri...Five???

I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus. Not on purpose, but for a good cause. On July 3, 2010 Chris and I found out our family was going to be expanding! We were filled with excitement (and a little anxiety) about the new life God had blessed us with.

Then, on July 28th, we had our first ultrasound to ensure the baby had a heartbeat. I was seven and a half weeks. The ultrasound showed a strong, healthy heartbeat, but also revealed that our family expansion was going to be a bit larger than we initially anticipated. We were told we are having TWINS! Of course my initial reaction was fear...how can we afford this, how will we have the room, how do you care for two babies at once? Chris' initial reacion was, "YES! This is awesome!" I am so thankful for such an encouraging husband to lean on. As I've processed the concept of having two babies, I have had my moments of sheer panic and Chris has been diligent to patiently build me back up. The forty week due date is March 12th, but we were told 37 weeks is term and we would likely deliver around that time.

Today, August 24th, I had another pre-natal appointment and was able to meet with the doctor who will be following my pregnancy and handling the delivery. I found out that I get to have an ultrasound once a month throughout the pregnancy. That is a definite perk! Seeing the babies again today was so much fun and they are definitely beginning to look more like "real" babies rather than lima beans. Both babies had healthy heart rates (157 and 161). Baby A was content to just rest peacefully where Baby B was going nuts all over the place. Baby B did not want to have pictures taken today.

My doctor is great and is also the mother of twins. She has been a great resource to me. She had some encouraging things to say and then some other things that are hard to hear, but definite things to pray about. We'll start with the positives: things are going great so far, I had a great first pregnancy with my first child, and there is a good chance I can have a "natural" birth. Now onto the things to pray about: my size. The doctor is concerned that I am too little to carry two babies so pre-term labor is a very real risk with bed rest highly likely. Please pray for my body to endure! The doctor told me today that if I can make it to 35 weeks, she will consider it a victory and allow me to go into labor at any point after that. So, my personal goal is to make it to that 35 week accomplishment, or February 5th. Please just pray to God to protect these babies and keep them inside me as long as possible. Of course, I personally pray I don't end up on bed rest either, but I'll do whatever I need to do in order to ensure these little ones have the best chance once they are born.

This pregnancy has already been much different from my pregnancy with Jacob. I have been quite sick and extremely tired. The doctor has been helping me with the vomitting with some medication and Chris has been amazing about ensuring I get the rest I need. I have been so blessed by the kindness of my sweet friend Donna (also expecting and due in November). She has been busy keeping me stocked with items in my freezer for those many days of just being too sick or tired to prepare a meal for my family. My mother in law has been feeding us on Tuesday nights and it has been such a tremendous blessing to come home from work to a prepared meal and not have to try to prepare something quickly. We have had endless offers from people at church to come keep Jacob for us when we need it. My sister has already started buying me boxes of diapers. When I think about the kindness and generosity that has already been extended to my family I am often brought to tears and completely humbled. I am so thankful to each one of you and do not have the words to fully explain it.

We covet your ongoing prayers. I will do my best to keep everyone up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment