Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chronicles of Bedrest

It has been entirely too long since I have posted. I've got some catching up to do!
My twin pregnancy was going wonderfully smoothly this fall. At my 24 week check up, my doctor told me she typically starts seeing her twin patients every 2 weeks at that point, but since I was doing so well, she was going to let me go four weeks. In November I paid off my student loan (wahoo!) and submitted my resignation on the same day! I am joining the ranks of the stay at home moms, but planned to continue contracting to teach Monday evenings. I went for my 28 week appointment and found out that I was showing some slight signs of pre-term labor, but nothing to be terribly concerned about....yet. I made the choice at that appointment I needed to be able to lay down more often and spend less time upright, so I moved my office to my bedroom and began working three days a week (my usual schedule) from home. I took a leave of absence from teaching Foster Parent classes. This was a great change and things seemed to be going pretty well. I was so thankful my employer allowed me to do this!
I got through the Christmas holidays well, but it was challenging. On December 26-27 I went to bed feeling a lot of contractions and trying to figure out what to do. In the wee hours of the morning on December 27 (29 weeks and two days) I decided to call the doctor who advised I go to the hospital. I was put on monitors and it was found I was contracting every 2-3 minutes (I'd thought it was about every 8 minutes when I went in). They gave me IV fluids, injections, and oral medication to stop the contractions. I was sent home later that morning with instructions to follow up with the doctor that afternoon. I went back to the doctor that afternoon and contractions had returned. I was sent home with an oral medication to control the contractions and strict instructions for bed rest (I could shower, move from the bed to the couch, and use the restroom). That is where I have been since then. I am currently 34 weeks and 1 day and still laying on the couch or bed... I am so excited to be reaching milestones (35-37 weeks is my ultimate goal).
These babies are growing. And filling my body. Fast. Their movements hurt now and I feel their presence in every inch of my frame. I have moments when I have the assurance that God does not give me more than I can handle and I march onward with hopeful anticipation that I will keep these babies in and not send them to the NICU. Other days I cry at the drop of a hat and beg my doctor, God, my husband....everyone for mercy! I know it is all worth it in the end.
Since going on bed rest we have been incredibly blessed. My mom stayed with us two weeks, Chris' mom is staying with us 4 days a week indefinitely until these babies arrive, our church family has put together an army of helpers to bring us meals 1-3 times per week, my sister has come weekly and cleaned, played with Jacob, and laundered my clothes. It is so hard not to jump up and do all those things that need to be done, but I am so grateful and beyond words for the way people have poured out blessings on us!
My doctor will not schedule a c-section (breech babies right now) until I reach 37 weeks, but she guesses I'll have them anywhere between 35-37 due to various reasons (contractions that won't stop, water break, blood pressure spike, etc.). I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I completed my last day of work on January 24th and officially became a stay at home mom. My teaching plans have changed due to some financial issues at my company. There's a chance I may be asked to come back at some point, but right now, it is on hold. God, in his Sovereign provision, provided me with an opportunity to stay on at Benchmark working on some research and data entry for approximately 24 hours per month. So, while I have resigned from my other position (which I will miss) I will continue with this other little project both before and after the arrival of the twins. It is a simple job and very flexible so I can work around sleeping children and schedules. It isn't much, but it is a tiny bit of extra income each month and it keeps me involved with the company I've grown to be so passionate about.
I attribute all that I have accomplished in this pregnancy to the Lord. There is no way I could do this alone, but it is by his strength alone!
Here are some photos to look back over the time......
P.S. I apologize for the spacing issues--I am using the laptop to post and for some reason I always have these problems. Better get used to it since the desktop has been packed away to make space for babies!!
December 3, 2010-25 weeks, 6 days
January 11, 2011-31 weeks, 3 days

January 22, 2011-33 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment