Monday, October 15, 2012

Autumn Hike!

We took a day trip to the Red River Gorge and did some hiking (along with half of Kentucky, apparently).  It was a beautiful autumn day with temps in the low 70's and bright blue skies.  Our previous hike earlier this fall showed the front pack to be too cumbersome for lengthy hikes for me with Grace in it.  Twenty pounds hanging off the front makes balance difficult and it is impossible to see your feet!  Thankfully friends of ours had a nice metal frame pack like the one Chris uses for the boys and allowed us to borrow it.  While it was heavy and I was quite worn out by the end, it was totally worth it!  Not sure how many more hikes we'll make until the kiddos are old enough to walk it responsibly on their own.  I think I've only got the stamina to handle five pounds or more out of Gracie before I can't make it.  It was a busy day on the trails since it was so pretty, but the sights were well worth dealing with the "traffic!"

We took a "pit stop" on the hike in for a scenic overlook.  Unfortunately the sun was so bright it washed out the scenic part of the photo!  You could see the ravine and all the autumn colors.  Pretty!

Don't you just love how my amazing husband loves his boys?  I sure do!  :-)




I swear this backpack was not nearly as heavy as I make it look!  The first one I am leaning forward because I was trying to sit on the ledge and it was pushing me over.  The second one...I don't know.  It is a workout to add about a quarter of your body weight to your back!




Of course, no trip is complete without someone falling asleep in the pack.  It is almost always Joshua!



We had such a nice time together as a family, enjoying God's beautiful creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment