While we wait on all of that, we are gathering all the documents we will need for our dossier. Last weekend I started gathering each item we would need and discovered we lacked very few! What is a dossier? According to the dictionary, it is a complete file containing detailed information about a person or topic. The dossier contains "official" documentation about our family that we will send to China so they can get a good understanding of who we are. Here is a glimpse of what we will send:
- Certified copies of birth certificates of each adoptive parent
- Certified copy of marriage license
- Original signed/dated medical exam and letter of approval for each adoptive parent
- Signed/dated original statements from law enforcement of criminal background clearance for each parent
- Financial statement-signed/dated in original form
- Employment verification-signed/dated in original form for each applicant
- Our home study
- USCIS Immigration approval
- 7-10 photos of family, home, and lifestyle--mounted and with captions on all
- Photo copies of passports
- 4 passport photos of each applicant
- Signed/dated reference letters in original form
You will notice this list includes lots and lots of things in "original" form or "certified" form. This is where I will be on pins and needles the day I drop the envelope full of all this hard work in the mail to our social worker! It cannot get lost in the mail! This represents weeks and months of time and effort and a good bit of financial investment as well. Once it arrives to our social worker, she will check all of it to ensure it meets the requirements for China. She will hold it until our immigration approval arrives and once we receive that, she will begin the authentication process for us (we are so blessed our agency authenticates our dossier for us--saves us lots of work and running to Frankfort--and ensures it is done correctly!!). Once authenticated, they upload it to China's system and mail it. Once the upload is complete, we are considered D-T-C (Dossier to China). We are eager for that to happen, because then we can be LID (logged in date) and start waiting for that referral!!
So....timeline? All rough estimates:
- USCIS approval-Our application was received on May 30th, so about 60-90 days from then....August would be the latest. Our social worker will have our dossier in hand prior to receiving our approval.
- Dossier authenication-It takes about 2-4 weeks the way our agency handles it....so about September at the latest.
- Upload to China and DTC- late September at the latest.
- Logged in Date-about 3-4 weeks after DTC, so October at the latest.
- Referral wait......it ranges and depends largely on our requirements and whether or not we accept our first referral. A very rough estimate is 6-9 months after LID. April at the earliest is my guess.
- TA-I have no idea once we get our referral how long we'll wait for travel authorization. Trying hard not to let myself look too far ahead or put too much weight in a timeline. All indications are a finalized adoption in late 2015 or early 2016 at this point, but we all know nothing ever goes according to plan. God may shock us in this department!
I get excited just thinking about it!