Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mama Called the Doctor and the Doctor Said....

It has been an interesting ten days or so at our house!  Sickness, rashes, head injuries...you name it, I feel like we've had it!

Things got started on a Tuesday morning when I came into the babies' room and discovered Grace was head to toe in vomit and her bed had not one inch that wasn't covered.  Joshua had gotten sick in his bed, too, but not nearly as much as Grace had.  I couldn't figure out what had happened, why they were sick, or what was up, so I just cleaned everyone up and went about my business.  Late in the afternoon that Tuesday, Chris started e-mailing me from work to tell me he was starting to feel sick as well.  Several hours later he came home from work (but not until he'd already had diarrhea AND started vomitting at his work).  He crawled in the back door and went straight to our bedroom where I locked him in quarantine.  No one else had gotten sick.  The babies had thrown up that one time in the night and had eaten and acted fine all day on Tuesday.  Wednesday we got up and left Chris home in his misery and went to Bible Study Fellowship.  Again, everyone was fine, and it had been more than 24 hours since either baby had vomitted.  I really thought we were in the clear.  Then, Wednesday night, Jacob started grabbing his stomach, laying on the floor, and telling me he didn't feel good and that he had whatever Daddy had.  He's four.  He exaggerates.  He imitates.  I never know if he's really sick or not.  So, I kind of patted him on the head, told him to pull himself together, and ignored him.  Then he asked if he could go to bed at 6:30PM.  That's when I decided perhaps he was telling the truth.  Thankfully I had the foresight to put a bucket in his room, because by 7:30PM he was vomitting and continued to do so until somewhere around 3:30AM.  We are SO glad we bought our steam cleaner!  I ran that baby allllllll night long!   Hey, he's four.....at least he tried to get the bucket.  His aim needs improvement.  By Thursday morning Chris felt well enough to return to work, however, he deserted me with Jacob sick...and what I didn't know was that Joshua and Grace hadn't ever gotten completely sick either.  The diarrhea began and the throwing up lasted most of the day.  I think I did about ten loads of laundry and emptied at least one full container of hand soap.  My hands were on fire and red, but I wasn't about to fall prey to this nasty bug!  Miraculously, the clouds lifted and by Friday AM everyone was well--Mommy included!  Praise the Lord!

Monday afternoon we took the babies for their 15 month well child appointments.  They got shots and were mad and we were in the doctor's office exceedingly far too long--close to two hours.  Phew!  Needless to say, they were determined to be healthy 15 month olds.

Tuesday night I noticed Joshua developing what appeared to be some kind of diaper rash so I started putting cream on it.  Of course it started developing on Tuesday.  We were JUST at the doctor on Monday and that would have been WAY too convenient.  By Thursday afternoon the rash was just not responding to anything I put on it and was getting worse and worse.  Poor baby would cry each time I had to change his diaper.  So, back to the pediatrician we would go.  One time in one week is just not enough.  We love Dr. Warner!  Dr. Warner gave us some magic cream and things seem to be clearly up nicely now.

Saturday night we had a family gathering at Chris' aunt's house.  We took the kids outside to play and the adults were playing a rather involved game of ping pong.  I lost track of how close Joshua was to the ping pong players and sure enough, he got bumped and fell, slamming down into the concrete garage floor with his head.  He cried pretty hard and began to vomit almost immediately after the accident.  He started acting kind of weird, dazed, disoriented, and just altogether out of it, so we quickly made the decision to take him to the Emergency Room (nothing ever happens during regular business hours, does it).  During the trip to the ER he still seemed very out of it and confused.  He threw up again in the parking lot when we arrived.  Shortly after they got us settled into a room in the ER, he seemed to come out of it and was acting more and more like himself...running around the room, waving at all the nurses, dancing a little jig...all things Joshua.  By the time the doctor came to see us, he felt confident he was recovering well and that it would be okay to discharge us to go home.  He told us to watch for 24 hours for specific symptoms of a concussion, but he was fine and has been fine since it all happened.

Phew!  This mama's blood pressure is getting a bit high!  I pray things will settle down now....at least for a while!  Enjoy the pictures below of my sickie sicks...this is the stillest I've ever seen Joshua and Grace be!

No comments:

Post a Comment