Thursday, June 16, 2011

Recipes in Review

Last week I mentioned that I was going to try out two new recipes for Amish Baked Oatmeal and Bananaberry Freezes. Here's the Burri take on them:

AMISH BAKED OATMEAL:
This one was delicious! It was easy to mix up, quick to throw in the oven the next morning, and reheated well. I definitely recommend serving it with warm milk over the top. I think this would also freeze well. Just mix it up and when you get to the refrigerate overnight part, put it in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the fridge and it should be great! We will definitely be making this one again (especially since I can buy almost 3lbs of oatmeal at Aldi for a steal!). We had this for a summer breakfast, but I can definitely see us making this many times for a hearty winter breakfast. Someone also told me baked oatmeal is great with canned peaches (with syrup) on top...might have to try that!

BANANABERRY FREEZE:
This one was also a hit, though I think the guys liked it better than I did. Jacob kept asking for more of our "special drink." We had some to drink with our breakfast and then I froze some in Popsicle form. Chris and Jacob have both enjoyed them frozen--I didn't try them. While I thought this was good and loved that I knew 100% everything in them was healthy and fresh, I still felt like it needed something more. The recipe linked here says you can add any citrus beverage and then mentions the use of OJ. I think OJ might give it the tang and zip that I thought it was lacking. I will be trying OJ next time.

This week I haven't really ventured out for anything new. We've made some yummy traditional treats though, like Oreo Cookie Cake and No Bake Cookies. I hope to try this recipe for Southwest Roll-ups in the next week or so and put them in the freezer for some quick meal options. I'll let you know how it goes! It's hard to believe, but it also almost time to dust off my blender and start working on building up the freezer stash of baby food! Joshua and Grace will be old enough to start baby cereal in a week! I bought all my baby cereal for Jacob, but this time around I hope to make more of my own using--you guessed it--the 3lb container of cheap oatmeal! :-)

What about you? What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment