Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolutions

Happy New Year from the Burri 5!

I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions. Generally I fail or create a resolution that is basically impossible to achieve from the moment I try to start. Really, they aren't my thing. For some reason, this year I decided to do something different. I decided I would make a resolution and not just one; I've made three! What am I thinking? I've decided to share them here and perhaps you can help me be accountable to achieve this goal!

Resolution#1
Today in church our pastor challenged us to make the following resolution: "In 2012 I resolve to daily speak as if God is good, the Gospel is true, and Jesus is at work in me and all around me." At first glance this seems like it shouldn't be too much of a stretch, but further thinking reveals this is much harder. This means I won't complain, grumble, fight against God, whine, whimper, and demand my own way. I won't complain about my husband, my children, my job, my income, my lot in life, or that I deserve better. This resolution is going to completely be a GOD thing. I cannot achieve this on my own strength. Chris and I got a taste of how hard this is going to be when both of us caught ourselves starting to complain in the car ride home from church. Complaining is such a part of our daily lives and it MUST GO! We want to praise God, not complain and say His way isn't the right way! We must PRAY to achieve this. Will we fail? You bet we will! Is it our hope we will acknowledge our failure, accept the failure as part of our sanctification process, and try, try, try again? YES! Please join us in this challenge. Realize that the gospel is TRUE and without the life of Christ, we deserve death and eternal damnation, but because of His sacrifice on the cross, we take each breath and have the assurance of eternal life. Nothing is worth our whining or complaining when you think about what we truly deserve....

Resolution #2
For those of you who actually read (and enjoy--maybe?) my blog, you will be happy to know this next resolution involves maintaining this blog. For Christmas Chris gave me a printed version of my blog from 2009-2011. It is bound in a hard cover book and I have so treasured having all these thoughts and memories in print! It also made me realize that I really DO miss keeping up my blog and I need to get back at it so I can remember the fun of raising a preschooler and infant twins! So, I resolve to try to blog at least twice per month (or more, if there is lots to tell). Blogs may be written memories, photo journals, or random thoughts. So, here is blog number 1 for 2012! One more to go for the month....

Resolution #3
I really enjoy working in the kitchen and trying new things (ask me about my most recent adventure with black beans and rice--DELICIOUS). My husband enjoys sampling my adventures in the kitchen. I decided I wanted to push myself a bit. I hope to try at least two new recipes a month. Recipes can be for anything--baking something new, a main dish, a new side dish, appetizer, beverage, dessert, canning, freezing, etc. I'd like it if I tried some things that are a bit out of my comfort zone (foods we don't usually use, techniques I'm not skilled in), but I'm not going to box myself in with that. So for now, I just hope it is something NEW, regardless of whether or not it is on my beaten path of culinary skills or tastes. If I come across something that seems extra yummy or well received by the fam, I'll post it here to share.

So that's that! What are your resolutions for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment