Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

The inevitable arrived this year. I turned the BIG 3-0. Yup, I'm 30. It sounds old, but someone sweetly reminded me that if I live to be 90, my life is really only 1/3 over at this point. Hmmm. Was that really supposed to make me feel better?! In all seriousness, I've actually (oddly) been looking forward to my 30th birthday. Finally, my age is approaching an appropriate level for my "old soul." Ha, ha!

I had a fabulous several days worth of celebrating my big day. On Wednesday the girls at work decked out my office with balloons, signs, and curly ribbon. They even got me my very own KING SIZE Snickers bar (I think it is a conspiracy to make me get fat). They also gave me a sweet card with many wonderful messages in it. My sister got in on the action at work, too, and dropped off more balloons and a cake for me to share. Lucky for me, it was a horrible rainy day, so dear big sister was not able to successfully wrap my car in gift wrap. Bummer. Following the cake and fun, I was presented with a gorgeous delivery of flowers from my sweet husband! What a special surprise!

Friday was my "actual" birthday. Chris is working a flex schedule at work and gets every other Friday off now and this happened to be his week off. I was granted permission early in the day to go run some Christmas shopping errands child free. You have no idea how nice it is to run so many errands without having to fuss with the car seat, carts, or strollers! I felt so free and was able to accomplish much. Then Friday night Chris took me out to eat at a local Mexican restaurant. When I walked in, the Gould Family was already there waiting for us to surprise me. What fun it was to enjoy a meal with sweet friends and fellowship with them at home over cake and ice cream. Thank you Gould Family! Also on Friday Chris presented me with my "gift." The gift was a note telling me we had tickets to a play on Saturday night, babysitting was lined up, and I got to go out to eat dinner...AGAIN! Woo hoo! So Saturday Jennifer came to keep Jacob for us (and he was not good, so I owe her double!) and we went out to eat. I even got dessert! The play was great and I enjoyed a lovely evening out with my husband. During the day on Saturday my father in law also came by to watch the UK basketball game with Chris, which allowed me some fantastic uninterrupted time to wrap MANY of my Christmas gifts and get them under the tree. I actually ran out of gift boxes, so I had to stop (well, I also have some of Jacob's really oddly shaped toys that I am putting off wrapping...those things can be such buggers to wrap!).

All in all, the first few days of my 31st year have gone well. I am so blessed and thankful for the friends and family I have in my life. Thank you to each and every one of you for making it such a special day! Pictures to come in a later post....

No comments:

Post a Comment