Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sleep, Sweet Sleep....

Post op day two. I was warned that most pain comes at the 48 hour mark post op for wisdom teeth extraction. So far so good. However, one of my pain meds has decided to start causing me to itch. Not like a rash. More like an annoying, dry skin, sort of itch. I called the doctor and they told me it is likely the narcotic causing it, so I might try to go without it tonight and see what happens. Honestly, I'd rather itch than be in pain, so if I have to tolerate a little itchy scratchy stuff, I'll deal. It isn't enough to drive me batty....yet.

Sleep. Sleep has eluded me for some reason the last week or so. Of course, I started losing a little sleep here and there prior to the procedure because I was so darn nervous about the silly thing. I thought for sure surgery day and day one I would spend knocked out in bed. Not true! Once I shook off the initial anesthesia on surgery day, I was wide awake till bed. Day one post op and I was up at 4:30AM. My mother in law was here all day so I thought for sure I'd get some good naps in. Nope. I think I dozed, but that is it.

Day two, post op. My "helpers" are slowing down because I am feeling better and able to do well on my own. I don't need to be "supervised" or waited on. Today, sleep decided to arrive. Not good when you are home alone with a two year old!! I slept like a ROCK last night and did not even hear my sister in law arrive in the house this morning to get Jacob up. Thank goodness she came over to get him this morning....I think I likely would have slept till 10 and never known he was in the house! Jacob is generally a great napper, so my sister in law stayed till we put him down for a nap today. I figured he would nap till about 4, Chris would be home sometime later in the evening...we would be fine. Of course, you know what they say about the best laid plans..... Jacob did NOT eat lunch today (literally, not one bite). He went down for his nap at 12:30 hysterical and with an empty belly. (Sorry dude. You get what mommy prepares. Won't that be yummy reheated for dinner tonight?!) Anyhow, we put him down for his nap, I take my pain meds and settle in on the couch for some rest. Just as I doze off around 1:45.....I hear....."MOMMY!" Are you kidding me? So....I left him in his bed like any fantastic mommy would (ha ha) for at least another 30-40 minutes with him just talking to himself. Despite leaving him in bed, he was still keeping me up with all his chattering, so I just got him up. UGH.

I hate to be the mom that parks your kid in front of the TV to keep him entertained, but Chris is working late tonight, and I am due another pain med. Looks like an early dinner for us (since I'm on mush diet I get hungry fast and Mr. Grumpy Pants didn't want lunch) and then we'll put on some Sesame Street and perhaps mommy can nod off for just one brief moment of bliss.

Why is it, while I had all the help in the world, I was WIDE awake and now that all the days of sleeplessness catches up to me and all I want to do is sleep, I can't?! Isn't that just how it goes?

I shouldn't complain. Praise God for my health, for a good baby boy who is sweetly entertaining himself "reading" the junk mail, and for a relatively easy recovery so far.

Tomorrow is a new day. Perhaps then I will get to enjoy some sleep. Sweet sleep.....

No comments:

Post a Comment