Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chris is Preparing to Face a Giant

As many of you know, Chris accepted a promotion at work earlier this spring to become a team lead in another purchasing department at his company. He has really been excited about the chance to tackle this new challenge. He'll be purchasing new things, working with new customers, and supervising a team of five. Sounds great, right?

Then the e-mails began... Here are just a few quotes from the e-mails he has received from fellow co-workers:
  • "You think your hair is thin now.........you just wait."
  • "There's no telling what you're stepping in to."
  • "Are you scared?"
  • "Bill (the current team lead in this department) keeps telling me he can't wait to get out of there."
  • "I don't want to run you off, but................"

First of all, what on earth would possess someone to write these things to him? Secondly, Chris has handled all of this with such grace. I told him the other day that I didn't want him to take the position. I don't want him to end up miserable and hating his job...he enjoys what he does right now. In my weakness, I told him no promotion is worth it to deal with such a mess. He just says he is ready to face the challenge and that we'll just need to diligently pray about his success there. It is his decision, but admittedly, I have secretly held onto my doubts in my heart and allowed the worry to fester. Not good!

Then Chris heard from a good friend of ours, Scott. Scott is a source of a great deal of encouragement to Chris. Here is what Scott told Chris when he shared with him the number of negative e-mails he has been receiving:

"Successful people look at difficult situations as opportunities. What glory would there be in David slaying a 3 foot midget? He saw it as an opportunity to bring glory to God!"

Thank you, Scott, for bringing encouragement to my heart and to my husband. He is so right! What would have been the big deal if little, tiny David had slayed a midget? No, God gave him a giant to slay, and when he did, it brought such awesome glory to God through it!

Please pray for Chris. His training has begun and he moves permanently into the position on June 29. Chris is preparing to face his giant and we can only pray that he will slay this giant and bring glory to God!

I love you, husband! You make me so proud!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the promotion, and I'm sure that Chris will do very well. It reminds me of the professors in college that people would moan and groan about. More often than not, if you showed up with the right attitude and worked hard, you never had a problem, and I hope this will be the case here. And if not, it sounds like your husband is ready to take the opportunity to use the challenge for God's glory! Praise God for good Christian friends to encourage us, and for husbands who are seeking to please God!

    ReplyDelete