Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Want My Mom!

We went to a party/family gathering this weekend with Chris' extended family. The last couple of times we have gotten together with Chris' extended family have been especially hard for me. At first, I couldn't put my finger on it, but then I figured it out.

I delight in watching Chris' family delight in our son. Every babble, every step, every clap, every giggle....they delight in it, they rejoice in his life, and they love, love, love him! I watch them giggle and coo at him, smooch his little cheeks, and talk about all the places in the Burris or Broaddus family his traits and mannerisms must have come from. I sit back and watch and I love it.

But then I feel sad...

I feel sad because I know how much our son love, love, loves his Burris Grandparents. I feel sad because my mom is one of my best friends and she has missed so much of our son's life. She doesn't know him and he hardly knows her. He definitely knows her picture, though.

She chooses to live in NY and I choose to live in KY and I wouldn't change that for anything. I loved growing up in NY and I LOVE living in KY. I just wish they weren't 12 hours by car or $250 by air.

I love my time with Chris' family. I just wish it could be the same with my own. Sisters are great (and I am so, so lucky to have one only 1 mile away!). Mother's in law are wonderful (praise God, mine is amazing and treats me so sweetly). But nothing compares to your own mom.

Having Jacob has helped me start to "get" my mom more. You know what I mean...those crazy mom quirks they all have that kinda drive you nuts, until you have your own child and you understand why they want to know what your plans are for every single day of the week. :-)

I love you mom, I miss you, and I can't wait for you to come see Jacob soon! I can't wait till it is your turn to giggle and coo, kiss, and smooch, and talk about all the wacky Ruth and Anderson family mannerisms he has!

I work in the world of broken homes and families when I go to work Monday through Wednesday. How blessed am I to have one amazing family?

"Thank you, God for my family, my husband's family, and for all the ways they bless us beyond belief. Thank you for the family my son is a part of. Thank you, that we are all a part of your family. Please God, help me never take them for granted. Oh, and God? Could you please bring my mom to me soon? I miss her. Amen."

1 comment:

  1. Katrina,

    You have touched my heart deeply, brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. I hope you truly know how much this means to me. Thank you, my treasured daughter.

    ReplyDelete