Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Infuriating Moment

I knew the day would come, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. The day Jacob would cease to respond to Mommy's discipline and only listen to Daddy.

It has arrived.

We had a meltdown. A wheels off the bus, life cannot move forward until this is resolved, meltdown this evening. I don't even know what it was about.

Chris has been sick and I was trying, unsuccessfully, to let him rest in the bedroom while I dealt with Jacob. I failed at that task.

After warnings, two spankings, and a loss on my part I just decided he was going to have to scream.

Enter Daddy.

Daddy: "Jacob, do I have to discipline you?" (In a stern, mad daddy type voice.)

Jacob: "No." (Utter shock crosses his face, the hysteria ends, and he collapses into a pile of shudders on my shoulder).

That was the end of it. Literally. No, Daddy did not have to discipline him.

I was glad the incident had come to an end, but I was infuriated that my child would not respond to me or my discipline. It made me feel like an incapable mother.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad Chris stepped in, supported my discipline, and got the situation under control. I am not angry that he became involved. I am angry about the sin, hiding in my wee little 18 month old's heart, that made him feel as though he could manipulate me and continue to be hysterical despite my strong discipline. How can someone so small, so innocent, have sin already? He needs Jesus!

It is a long road ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment