Thursday, October 1, 2009

Meal Making Mission

I am on a meal making mission this week. We have new babies at church and new babies means we have overwhelmed mommies who are lucky to shower, never mind think about what to feed their hungry families. That is where the church family comes in and is such a blessing to a new mommy!

Meals for mommies! What a great concept! We take turns and every other day for two weeks the new mommy has a meal delivered to her doorstep and she doesn't have to think a moment about what to fix or how to find the time to fix it in her sleep deprived delirium.

I am on duty this week. Tomorrow I am taking a meal to a sweet, wonderful family who just had a little man named Caleb Scott. Caleb took his time arriving and was about 10ish days past his due date and eventually had to come by c-section. Stubborn boy. This family is dear to us and we've actually invited ourselves to come join them for dinner tomorrow night--fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and dump cake (dump cake is a whole other post, but let me just say--if you have never experienced dump cake, you are a deprived little soul).

Saturday I am taking a meal to our wonderful music pastor, his wife, and now three little boys! Silas James came via induction and arrived right on time, as expected, and rather easily for mommy! The two little guys (Silas and Caleb) are about four days apart. Our music pastor LOVES to eat, so I am going armed with a build your own taco bar, chips, salsa, and snickerdoodle cookies. Mmmmm. Delish.

TODAY, I am making a meal to take to Miss Donna. Miss Donna is Jacob's Monday babysitter and she is always so kind to care for Jacob and often feeds Chris and Jacob dinner on Monday nights while I am off teaching classes. Miss Donna has been on vacation in FL for the week and we've been taking care of her kitty cats for her. There is nothing worse than getting home from a long trip in the car, only to arrive home to an empty fridge (or a fridge full of outdated foods) and have to come up with a dinner plan. So I planned for them and will run down tomorrow to tuck a little surprise in their fridge for when they arrive home. Baked ziti, salad, bread, and brownies. Not just your run of the mill brownies. These will be suped up, brownies on crack brownies. A chocolate lovers delight. I know these brownies will speak right to Miss Donna's heart as we are totally kindred spirits when it comes to chocolate.

I love to cook. I love to cook for other people more. I love to cook when I know it will truly help someone out.

Who can you bless with your talents today?

No comments:

Post a Comment